Once you’ve made the courageous decision to recover from your eating disorder it’s time to think about the type of treatment that’s right for you. Recovery is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Individualizing care is essential. There are many eating disorder centers all across the country, chances are there is an eating disorder treatment center close to home within miles. However, the majority of people choose to travel for treatment giving them a chance at true recovery.
While this may seem inconvenient or expensive, going to receive treatment in a new place offers many benefits. It may not be easy leaving your family and friends behind to overcome an eating disorder, but doing so could be vital to your long-term success.
- It’s a commitment. The time and energy invested in traveling help curve the temptation to quit your treatment early.
- It’s the right program. Expanding your search to other places increases your chance of finding the right treatment program to meet your physical and psychological needs. The option to choose a location or setting you to find comforting/relaxing.
- It’s a chance to start over. Removing yourself from the triggers and negative influences in your daily environment helps you focus and gives you a better shot at a successful recovery. One has more opportunities to find the right type of treatment program for your exact needs.
- The chance to disassociate from triggers, negative influences, and the root of your disorder. You cannot heal in the same environment that made you sick, the best option in most cases is to take a break and step outside of your comfort zone to a new environment and heal from any trauma that may have happened. Give yourself a safe environment that’s free of distractions.
Treatment options may vary depending on many factors but from long-term residential treatment to short-term outpatient treatment it’s always best to get an assessment to see what will be best for your recovery- we’d be happy to help with that. Each person has unique needs that will give one a better chance at recovery. One needs to consider nutritional needs, prescriptions on medication management, coping skills, and more. Once one finds the best option to suit those needs it’s a good idea to travel for treatment.
Many struggling may have triggers at home like unsupportive parents/friends or may live alone that enable these unhealthy behaviors. Our professional staff members understand these triggers and how to treat the disorder while strengthening family relationships/ friendships and a well-rounded treatment program that is designed to integrate a healthy support system with loved ones and rebuild relationships.
Logistics of traveling
Traveling can be a headache, once you have identified that you need to travel for treatment this checklist is made to help you remember all that goes into traveling.
- Proof of Medical Insurance.
- Driver’s License or Passport.
- Any Prescribed Medication.
- Important Contacts ( Name, Phone Numbers, Emails).
- Any Other Important Documentation.
- Mobile Phone.
- Medical Records.
- 10-12 Clothing Options.
- 3 pairs of Shoes.
- If you Vape, Cigarettes, or e-cigs that are unopened.
Our treatment center specifically realizes the cost of traveling and offers transportation for two local airports twenty-four hours a day. Booking an earlier or later flight may mean it is cheaper and more cost-effective for one traveling!
Traveling for treatment has many benefits and shouldn’t be ruled out when choosing the right treatment center for you. Finding that perfect balance of nutrition guidance, therapeutic needs, individual care should all be top priority. For a free assessment to find out what best fits your needs give us a call we’d be happy to help walk you through the journey to recovery.