Thick, rich, and hearty, this soup is the perfect comforting end to a cool day …
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini (or you can use fresh)
- 3 cups packed spinach (you can definitely add more than this if you want)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half and half
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the onions, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste and drizzle with olive oil. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt, and pepper a slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours (or until chicken is very tender).
- Remove chicken from pot. Add in tortellini and spinach, Parmesan cheese and warmed cream (cream should be warmed because it may cause curdling if added in cold).
- Shred chicken and add it back into the crockpot and ENJOY!