Homemade Brownies Recipe
I’m all about the sweets!
And while a lot of people try to cut out sugar, from the fear that sugar is inherently harmful to the body, leads to weight gain, or whatever, let me start by letting you know that carbohydrates–which get broken down into sugar (glucose) are of the utmost and vital importance to brain, cell, and bodily functioning. Now, before I send myself into a tangent about my anti-diet message, and how all foods fit, I’ll just break it down with the bottom-line truth. Glucose (better known as blood sugar) is the sugar that is made from the breakdown of carbohydrates eaten through foods. This is critical to the body to breakdown and utilize energy for optimal/proper bodily functioning. Glucose is a precursor to other sugar molecules as well. And essentially every few minutes the body is checking glucose levels within the body and if they aren’t being met, then the need for them becomes higher, and the body lets the brain know “We’re in desperate times – SEND HELP!!” So your urge to eat carbohydrates and sugar (quick energy) becomes urgent. It’s not that you don’t have ‘control’ over your body, it’s that you’re ignoring your bodies’ physiological need for carbohydrates. That all said, I have a recipe here for some absolutely incredible homemade brownies. So delicious, so quick, and so helpful for your body to get the energy it needs – FAST!
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 1-minute; allow to cool to room temperature (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, and salt to butter mixture.
- Add vanilla and eggs (one at a time) to butter/sugar mixture.
- Incorporate flour and baking powder.
- Slowly mix in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Pour into non-stick 8×8 pan and top with remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for approx. 30-minutes until toothpick comes out clean.