These savory corn cakes are the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. With fresh corn, spicy jalapenos, and a golden-fried crust, this scrumptious side dish is sure to please even the most discerning taste buds! I like to make these alongside another one of my favorite recipes – cream cheese chicken taquitos!
- 16-ounces of frozen corn (about 3 cups)
- 4 scallions, very finely diced
- All or part of one jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1-2 limes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- To Serve: lime wedges, salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, salted Greek yogurt, sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado, hot sauce
- Finely dice the dark green and light green parts of the scallions and put them in a large microwave-safe bowl along with the corn and the minced jalapeno pepper.
- Microwave the mixture for 3-4 minutes, stirring once or twice to promote even cooking.
- Let the mixture cool slightly and then stir in the milk, cheese, self-rising flour, salt, and eggs.
- Mix to combine.
- Heat a large frying pan on the stove with oil.
- With a large spoon, drop the batter onto the hot pan.
- Fry until both sides are golden brown and the centers are cooked. Serve with a good squeeze of lime, extra lime wedges, sour cream and any of the serving suggestions listed above.