I love working in the mental health field, specifically eating disorders! I preach the importance of self-care, but sometimes fall short on practicing it myself! I love to cook, but sometimes just don’t feel like I have time to go to the grocery store, prep the meal, and cook especially if I am just cooking for myself. I started looking into finding quick, nutritious, and tasty meals so that I am still taking time to take care of myself while also not feeling like its a chore! I found this delicious Mexican Chicken, Sweet Potato Skillet recipe that meets all of the criteria I mentioned before! If you love to cook or you’re a beginner, this recipe (see below) is quick, easy, & delicious! Not only does it take less than 30 minutes to prep and cook, but you only need a skillet — less time cleaning dishes, am I right!? Also, this recipe makes 4 servings, making it an easy meal to freeze and/or refrigerate and enjoy throughout the week!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, par-cooked and diced (see note on par-cooking)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces diced green chiles (canned)
- 1/3 cup salsa or red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large (10-12 inch) cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl combine all of the spices.
- When the skillet is hot add in the chicken and spread into an even layer, then sprinkle with half of the spice blend.
- Sauté the chicken for approximately 3 minutes then add in the onion.
- Continue to cook for several more minutes or until the onion has softened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Lower the heat to medium and add in the remaining spice blend, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, and salsa or enchilada sauce.
- Stir together and cook until the mixture is heated thouroghly, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Squeeze the lime juice over everything then top with the shredded cheese.
- Cover with a lid or lay a piece of foil on top of the skillet until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Authored by Emily Baum, M.S., RDN, LD