It’s that time of year again! Honestly, my favorite time of year–The Holidays! And specifically Christmas! And you know what comes with Christmas?
And you know what comes along with Christmas Cookies?
Joy, happiness, and nostalgic childhood memories.
Now if you’re anything like me you create your Christmas cookie list the day after Thanksgiving, and you get started right away! So you go and purchase all of the ingredients because you realize that there’s only so many days before Christmas to get them all done! Now it’s time to focus and get some serious baking on!
So let’s get started on that list, one that I’m sure you’ve made too, with this simple and absolutely delicious sugar cookie recipe with homemade buttercream frosting!
Are you drooling yet?
The Sugar Cookies!
Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
- 2 ¼ cups of All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp milk
This recipe makes approximately 30 cookies
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Cream together shortening and sugar with either hand mixer/stand mixer until smooth in consistency.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and milk.
- Mix dry ingredients into a separate bowl.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface.
- Cut with cookie cutters.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
The Buttercream Frosting!
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ½ tsp-1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2.5-3 cups powdered sugar
- Splash of milk
- Add softened butter to a medium-sized mixing bowl, either using a hand mixer or a stand mixer beat butter until fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar in ½ cup increments until thick and creamy. Add a splash of milk if ‘too thick’ in consistency. Add food coloring, if desired.
- Share and enjoy!